Wednesday, November 11, 2009

LOVEABLENESS

We can't make people love us. They have their own preferences and maybe even biases. We might conclude that it's fate's way that we are not loved. "God just made me not to be loved," we may say to ourselves. "It's going to be a lonely, miserable life but I'm just going to have to put up with it. I'm not pretty or handsome enough. I don't drive a low-slung, cool, black sportscar. I'm not athletic." But hold on. Being popular and cool is not the only way to have friends and be loved. Actually, how we present ourselves makes a huge difference in whether or not we will be loved. Are we loveable? I've known many people (and I'm seventy-five years old)who did not have looks, or money or never made it to the school athletic teams, but have many friends. How? We'll begin to unpack that question next week. In the meantime, talk to yourself about how you could be loveable.

No comments:

Post a Comment